Table of Contents
Comparison testing is considered to be an oft-repeated phrase and a known type of testing which has the ability to evoke great amounts of attention.
In this thread, we are going to run deep into the concept of comparison testing and understand the term in detail.
Are you looking for a way out that can help to evaluate your product?
Do you want to understand how your product will perform; will it stand out in the market?
Does it have some USP?
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the product?
Use comparison testing, then.
You will get to know each aspect of your product, which will help you decide its price. Various parameters like feature, functionality, performance, security are evaluated in comparison testing; if done right, it can add significant value to your business.
What is Comparison Testing?
In comparison testing, the actual results are compared concerning the content of the database and files available. In other words, it compares the features, functionality, and various other parameters of the new software with other software that is already available in the market. It identifies the difference between the actual result and the expected result.
How to do comparison testing correctly?
When it comes to the process of comparison testing, it is not very difficult. Rather amongst all the testing available, comparison testing is the easiest to be carried out. The first step is to identify your competitor in the market. This will help you to create evaluation test criteria. After creating benchmark tests, execute it on all software available under comparison. Finally, create a report of the final result and recommendations made.
Comparison testing is significant as you can get to know whether your software will perform in the market or not. There are many advantages of using this testing:
- Helps to identify weakness and strength of the software
- Helps to understand the design of the competitor’s software
- To know whether it would be profitable or not to launch the software
- To identify the USP of the software
- To improvise the software (after evaluating all the aspects)
- It helps to make the software competitive
The advantage of comparison testing is many. However, there are some drawbacks as well. The disadvantages are:
- Testing is difficult to conduct
- Competitors can identify the weakness of your product and can use it against you in the market
- Challenging to make any changes as per the recommendation
- Making any changes may affect the entire product functionality
Importance of Different Issues and Factors that Affect Testing
In comparison testing, several factors should be considered. Make sure you evaluate the testing at the initial stage and also identify the characteristics of the pattern. It will help you to determine whether the pattern complies with the standard of testing or not. The aspects of the comparison testing like a trade-off, composability, alternative, relevance, completeness of the test should also be considered.
The complete software functionality may get affected due to pattern overload while testing. Therefore, it is imperative to test various aspects of the software to produce the desired outcome. This thing will help to conduct comparison testing properly.
You need to also look at whether the pattern set for the comparison testing is relevant to the software application or not. If the pattern is not suitable, ensure that you improve and modify the pattern.
Factors Affecting Comparison Testing
Here is a list of factors that need to be kept under consideration:
- Comparison testing allows you to check the competitor’s software and understand whether your software is up to the mark or not. The software you have developed should contain a pattern that should solve the fundamental problem of the customers. If the software does not solve the problem of all the people, consider adding some features in the area or the sector needed.
- Consider having identified relationships; this will help make any changes without affecting the functionality required even after the software development is done. Make sure you define the roles of each component and subsystem. This will make the task of making changes easy.
- Look for composability of the software, i.e., whether the patterns will combine with other codes or not and whether it will be able to solve the problems. To ensure your competitiveness concerning competitors in the market, make sure that your software has composability; otherwise, it may not be able to solve complicated problems, and customers might not like your product.
- One of the other factors which play a significant role in comparison testing is extensibility. Extensibility is related to composability. The codes in composability should work together with other codes for solving complex problems. The software should have parameterization’s elements that allow it to integrate into different codes.
- Although the codes are individually implemented, they are implantable with other patterns. Comparison testing helps to elevate the image of the product. It should be able to pass both the testing stages, i.e., alpha and beta. To conclude, the products need to have assigned functionality. Comparison testing helps to add various features to the software. The test also helps prevent any future damage to the end-user system as it finds out the errors or bugs in the software. Comparison test not only helps to evaluate the software but also helps modify user software according to the user’s needs.
When we end up introducing a new software product, it is just similar to entering a territory which is very new to us, and about which we have little information. Many of the products end up being successful, as the creators have identified the core needs of the market and have acted accordingly by understanding the viability of the idea. Here comparison testing becomes a powerful tool that helps the creators to understand the software product’s viability and how it can help in combating the needs of the individuals.